Early features and functionality are starting to appear in the latest Windows 10 Redstone 3 builds; the next major revision of Microsoft's client operating system. Microsoft is currently working on the core of the operating system to support new features that will define this release. Two new features focus on performance, mobility and IT-Pro's.
What’s New in Build 16179 For PC
Revert VM: Continuing our theme of simplifying Hyper-V for developers on Windows 10 (see What’s New), we’re introducing automatic checkpoints so that you’ll always be able to undo a mistake in your virtual machine – you can now always revert to the last time you started a virtual machine.
Introducing Power Throttling*: You may remember some of the power experiments we did back in January with Build 15002. Power Throttling was one of those experiments, and showed to have up to 11% savings in CPU power consumption for some of the most strenuous use cases. So, we’re turning this on for everyone starting with last week’s build. Check out our complete blog post on this for more details!
*Power throttling is a temporary working name for this feature and may change before the release of the next Windows 10 update. Source
Build 16179 includes the usual assortment of bug fixes users have diligently reported using the Feedback app.
Windows 10 Mobile also received a new build, 15205, which is still on the Redstone 2 branch.
Changes, improvements, and fixes for Mobile
- We fixed the targeting issue that caused some variants of the Alcatel IDOL 4S to not receive Build 15204 last week. All variants of the Alcatel IDOL 4S should receive Build 15205.
- FYI: We fixed the issue where supported Windows 10 Mobile devices were showing the update to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update as “not yet available” in the Upgrade Advisor app.
- We fixed an issue where Continuum would stop working when HP Elite X3 case is closed.
- We fixed an issue where Continuum would hang or render incorrectly after disconnecting on devices like the Lumia 950.
- We fixed an issue with Microsoft Edge where you might get into a bad state after opening a new Microsoft Edge windows and screen off with the JIT process suspended.
- We fixed an issue with where the device screen might stay black when disconnecting from a Continuum dock after screen has timed out normally.
- We fixed an issue with backup and restore which impacts users with slower network connection.
- We fixed an issue around Microsoft Edge reliability. Source
Its a long road ahead, but we should get a clearer picture about Windows 10 RS3 at Microsoft's developer conference, next month.