• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Desktop Shortcut Problem

After using Windows 10 for several months, I recently tried to create a new desktop shortcut by right-clicking on the desktop to open the list of folders, files and applications to chose from. Instead, the content box offers only the list of content on the desktop. No access to other content. Is there a way to reverse the the original settings and show all the content of "This-PC"?

Thanks in advance...

Are you just trying to create a new folder or shortcut on the desktop (which you can do by right click and select new and then fill in the info) or do you want to open "My Desktop" and see the view of folders, devices and drives and network folders so you can select a pgm and send to desktop as a shortcut? If that is what you are wanting then do this: Go to settings, select personalization, then themes. Under themes select Desktop icon settings. This shows the standard set of system icons to be placed on the desktop. Make sure a checkmark is off the computer desktop icons which will create a new icon. Rename My PC to something else. Then turn on the computer checkmark under desktop icons, click ok and leave settings. The new desktop icon for computer should show everything you are missing by just clicking on the icon. Then delete old My PC icon. Mine shows folders, devices and drives and network locations.

Archived