• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool Download

Firstly I will be replacing the hard drive on my Acer Model Z1801 All In One Desktop Computer with a new HP 250 SSD.

The hard drive in the Acer PC has corrupted files which I can't fix with scans and freezes if I restart the computer to install any updates, which makes any cloning from the old hard drive to the new SSD not an option.

My plan is to download a fresh copy of Windows 10 and reinstall to the new SSD. 

What I need to know is do I download the Windows 10 Media creation tool to the USB Drive option or download as an ISO then use Rufus to copy the download to a USB Drive. 

The Acer is Legacy Bios Only,  Partition Scheme: MBR  File System: NTFS 

I did try a Windows 10 new install onto an older but healthy hard drive, using the download to a USB option, but the install failed part of the way. 

Any help or advice would be most appreciated. 

• 3 years later...

To download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, you can follow these steps:

Go to the official Microsoft website for downloading the Media Creation Tool.

Click on the "Download tool now" button. This will download the Media Creation Tool executable file to your computer.

Once the download is complete, navigate to the folder where the executable file was downloaded and double-click on the file to run it.

You will be prompted to accept the license terms. Click on "Accept" to continue.

Next, you will be prompted to choose between upgrading this PC now or creating installation media for another PC. Choose the option that best suits your needs.

If you choose to create installation media, select the language, edition, and architecture of Windows 10 that you want to download.

Choose the type of media that you want to use to create the installation media, such as a USB flash drive or an ISO file.

Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the download and creation of the installation media.

Once the installation media has been created, you can use it to install or upgrade Windows 10 on your computer.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez