• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

User account name

When I first upgraded to Windows 10, it created a users account for me using a part of my email name as the user name (patty). I hate being called patty and would prefer that the user account be called Pat. Is there some way to change the account name to Pat without having to redo all the work I've done on modifying the libraries, folders, etc?

• 1 month later...
Guest Txsgrandpa

Try this:

Advanced User Accounts control panel, otherwise known as Netplwiz lets you perform several user management

tasks such as create new users, changing the account name, assigning users to groups, manage passwords and

set some security features.

1. To access Advanced User Accounts panel type netplwiz in "Search the web and Windows" box next to your

Windows button then click or tap on Netplwiz (Windows application).

2. In the Advanced User Accounts panel, select the user you want to modify and click Properties

3. In the properties window for the user, enter the new user name and click OK.

4. Restart for the changes to take effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived