• Welcome to Windows10Forum.com, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers. Using this forum is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Click here to Register a free account now and JOIN the discussion!

malcol123

damn updates

I have had nothing but trouble with updates since i bought a new laptop.

To get the updates in, I have had to stop the update process and delete the software distribution folder in windows folder, on 3 occasions.

Now is all up to date!!!!

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or is there another and easier way to install the updates?

Hi See if this helps! Let us know how things go! I'm the author.

I have found 5 ways to install W10 updates.
1) The preferred way is the automatic update method, but that doesn't always work.
2) You can go to setting and click on Update and Security. Then click on "Check for updates
3) You can go here and click on "Update now". This will give you the update assistant tool.
4) You can also create a media creation tool and give it a try. This is a great tool to have in your desk drawer. It will help you repair and reinstall Windows when issues come up at a latter time.
5) If all the above methods fail you can use the Windows update Catalog to install the updates manually. You should make sure that your computer is compatible and can run W10.
Finally you can also do a clean install, which is the best install of W10 that you will ever get.
PS. Check here to see if your PC can run W10. Here's a good link for getting your PC ready for the updates. I hope this helps someone to successfully install W10 updates.
Here's a link to check if your PC is freezing or locking up when installing the updates
Good luck. I hope you are successful with the updates. They are very important.

Hi malcol123,

It's unfortunate you are experiencing updates troubles, in my experience, I have not had any problems with Windows updates, so success for me.

What version of Windows 10 do you have currently, so we can know what update glitch you are experiencing? (As an example, I have the latest version 1709 (OS Build 16299.248)