• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Windows 10 black screen on boot - also in safe mode

CrashDump

Hi,

I experience following problem on a desktop computer:

When i boot (normally) i see windows starting (loading logo), but then the screen turns black. Windows seems to continue loading in background.

I tried probably everything that was thrown on the internet.

i took out the display controller card from the PC  ->still black screen

i used commands like  WINkey+P and  WINkey-CTRL-shift-B  to (re)activate display card and extended screen optiens -> no effect. 

I booted with a windows 10 repair usb stick (which i downloaded from microsoft) , where there is no black screen:

- I tried sytem restore with all possible restoring points available -> black screen

- i tried repairing windows 10

- i tried several things through command prompt: regedit shell to explorer.exe, boot repair commands ...

i wanted to try further through  STARTUP REPAIR,  but that option was NOT available.

I used command line  "bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes"    to display startup settings on boot.

Booted in SAFE MODE with networking to try disable display drivers etc.... but booting in SAFE MODE = still BLACK screen.

i tried all other boot menu options like ,  debugging mode, logbook registring, Video in low resolution, safe mode, safe mode w/networking, safe mode with command prompt)

All resulted in the same black screen.

I'm out of ideas.

Can someone help me further?

FYI:  the PC is a Windows 10 that was upgraded from a Windows 7 Home.  So a full re-install is the last thing i want to do.

(since it's a win10 upgrade , the owner has no Windows 10 recovery disks)

• 3 months later...

Archived