• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

tried to change the User account folder name and messed up with the OS

Hi forum users, 

I recently tried to install Anaconda from python, which showed a warning message during installation process since the username had a "space" in between. so i tried changing the user account folder name as insisted in the official microsoft website.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2454362/renaming-a-user-account-does-not-automatically-change-the-profile-path

setps mentioned are as below:

"To workaround this issue, you can use the steps below to manually rename the profile path.

1. Log in by using another administrative account.

Note You may need create a new administrative account at first.

2. Go to the C:\users\ folder and rename the sub folder with the original user name to the new user name.

3. Go to registry and modify the registry value ProfileImagePath to the new path name.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\<User SID>\

WARNING If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

4. Log out and log in again by using the user whose name is changed, and the user should use the pervious profile with new path name."

I did up to 2nd step only and I am sure I messed up afer that. 

Now I couldnot use my original account. I could login to it, but could not use any application or programs nor could creat another user account. Not even start botten is working. 

please help me restore this account. 

Archived