• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Can't use apps anymore because I've been elevated to Built-In Administrator

Don't know how this happened although multiple auto-updates occurred in the last few days. My file associations are all screwed up, in particular photos (JPG file) want to be opened by the "Photos app". Evidently no apps can be opened because of the Built-In Administrator attribute. I've tried to reset that using the suggested commands using the elevated command prompt (net user administrator /active:no ) but that doesn't work. At first I was able to change the file associations for file types I particularly cared about to non-apps and that worked. But yesterday I received an alert that due to some sort of problem (the alert didn't stay on long enough to see what the problem was) the file associations would not be used and sure enough that is what happened. Help!

Archived