• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Skype for Business - how to disable

Guest cjm

I really like Windows 10. My upgrade from Win 7 went somewhat smoothly. Overall quite pleased. One area that I would like to figure out - is how to keep Skype for Business from loading on each reboot. I had skype on my Windows 7 from long ago but never used it. I uninstalled Skype under Windows 10, but each time I boot the computer, Skype for Business loads. I don't know how this came about and since my laptop doesn't sit on a domain, I am not sure why it even loads. Does anyone know how to disable Skype For Windows from booting up? I is not in my startup folder and if I try and close it down - Skype for Windows stays running. I have found articles setting security options that relate to Blocking Microsoft accounts, but these don't prevent the loading of Skype for Business.

I stumbled into the solution, and could not figure things out since there weren't any entries in my startup directory. Yet each time the computer rebooted, skype for business would try to load even though I wasn't using Skype. So I thought I would post the answer here.

If you right click on the Task Bar, you will see a startup tab. Open this tab. You will notice that you can enable or disable each entry in the list. I simply disabled Skype in the table. To find out where Skype was running from, if you right click on the entry (in my case Skype) you can also Open the File Location.

Archived