• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Windows 8.1 wont upgrade to Windows 10

hi

A laptop that is a few years old, wont update - even though the manufacturers website suggests it runs fine.  It's an ACER ES1-512 laptop.  I've updated all the Windows updates - but after running the upgrade, it just says 'installation failed'.

Last resort (I think) is to try a clean install from a USB - is there an article on there that describes how to do this?  Or does anyone have any ideas?

• 2 months later...

Hi Philis1983. Did you ever find a solution?  I have the exact same problem on an old HP Pavilion. No error messages, just 'installation failed'. I've tried a complete re-installation of win8.1 and deleted all user data and 3rd Party apps (except the HP tools). I've also tried a clean reboot with the hp startup programs disabled. Same result each time. 

• 1 year later...

If you are having trouble upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, there are several steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:

Check compatibility: Ensure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements to upgrade to Windows 10. Check that your computer has a compatible processor, enough RAM, and sufficient free disk space. You can check the compatibility by running the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant.

Update drivers: Ensure that all the device drivers on your computer are up-to-date, as outdated drivers can cause compatibility issues with Windows 10. Check the manufacturer's website for the latest drivers and install them.

Disable antivirus software: Antivirus software can sometimes interfere with the upgrade process, so try temporarily disabling your antivirus software and then attempting the upgrade again.

Check for system corruption: Use the System File Checker tool to scan for and repair any corrupted system files. To do this, open the Command Prompt as an administrator and type "sfc /scannow" and hit enter.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez