• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Black screen after update on Toshiba laptop

During recent Windows 10 update about 12% into update the screen went black and has remained this way since. I’ve researched online and there are all kinds of nifty tips and tricks to fix this problem but every one neglects the critical issue at hand: my screen is black so I can’t see anything. I can’t simply select FILE > WHATEVER > WHATEVER. I’m told to start up in safe mode which involves turning the computer off and on at the Windows splash screen. Once again, I’m not sure how to do this when I’m unable to see when that splash screen comes up…again…MY SCREEN IS BLACK…COMPLETELY UNVIEWABLE. How do I fix this???

Thank you for any advice or input you may have. 

• 1 month later...

Hey this should help you out. It helped me solve the issue.

Power on and off your computer three times

How do you do that?

Power on, when you see the Windows Logo - power off

Power on, when you see the Windows Logo - power off

Power on, it will then your computer will boot into the Advanced Recovery environment

You might be asked to sign in with your Microsoft Account or Local Account password.

Click Advanced Options
Click Troubleshoot
Click Advanced Options

Click System Restore, see if you can go back to an earlier time.

If not, boot into the recovery environment again, then try performing a startup repair.

Perform the startup repair a couple more times then restart again to see if you are able to boot to the desktop successfully.

If that does not work.

1. Power on and off your computer three times
  2. On the third time, your computer will boot into the Advanced Recovery environment
  3. Click Advanced Options
  4. Click Troubleshoot
  5. Click Reset this PC
  6. Click Keep my files
  7. Choose your account
  8. Enter your password
  9. Click Continue
  10. Click Reset

Do let me know after you try this. This is the only way out as of now.