• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

gmail has downloaded large data on my hard disk

Dear Brian,

I added a gmail account using 'mail and calender' of windows 10. I suddenly noticed that it had downloaded all my old mails to the hard disk and this is 10 GB of data. How can I delete this from my hard disk.

I will be glad for your help.

Kind regards,

John

I can't help as yet but I have asked a similar question which is apparently awaiting mod approval. I can tell you however that if you delete the mail account the data will also be removed thereby freeing up space. It seems remarkable to me that there is not an obvious option / setting to change the mail storage location.

I can't help as yet but I have asked a similar question which is apparently awaiting mod approval. I can tell you however that if you delete the mail account the data will also be removed thereby freeing up space. It seems remarkable to me that there is not an obvious option / setting to change the mail storage location.

Guest jamies

You have probably set the link to the email held by gmail to keep the email on your PC synchronised with gmail.

That means that deleting 'stuff' or moving it to new folders on your local (PC) store will have the effect echoed onto the Gmail store, and doing things with it on the gmail store will be echoed on your local store.

The 'in-vogue' idea is that you should maintain and manage the email on the gmail server using any of your 'devices' to access that email account.

So - check the synchronisation options on your PC, and - on the Gmail server.

It may be appropriate to de-synchronise the account, create a new account in your local email (POP3) facility on your PC, copy all the things you want to keep from the previously synchronised) account to folders under the new local account,. do any management ton the gmail store that you do not want synchronised with the local store, and then re-synchronise the account's local and Gmail managed store.

Also remember that if you are using POP3 to maintain a non-synchronised local store, than messages downloaded will normally be set to not download to any other device linking in, unless you set the local account links to keep copies for download to other devices accounts.

Sorry for the imprecise wording - I do not run a Gmail account, or win10 mail so cannot get the links you should use

Archived