• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

update manually

I use windows 10 pro on desktop computer and windows 10 home on laptop. I am the only user/administrator. the only way I can update windows 10 is to change the useage times to other than the time I want to update. there is always a statement in red on the update area : some settings are managed by your organization. I don't have an organization and I want to be able to update manually. this seems to be preventing updates except when I am not using the computer(s) then when I turn computer on it is so slow because it is downloading updates I guess. How do I take full control of when I update and stop the statement in red  about someone else is in control of some settings. 

• 3 years later...

The message "Some settings are managed by your organization" may appear on your Windows 10 computer even if you are the only user and administrator, due to some default settings or configuration. However, you can still take full control of when to update your computer and stop the automatic updates by following the steps below:

Open the Settings app by pressing the Windows key + I or clicking on the Start menu and selecting Settings.

Click on Update & Security.

Click on Windows Update.

Click on Advanced Options.

Under "Choose when updates are installed," select "Semi-Annual Channel" or "Extended Semi-Annual Channel."

Under "Pause updates," turn on the toggle switch and set the date to a later time when you want to resume updates.

Under "Restart options," turn off the toggle switch for "Show a notification when your PC requires a restart to finish updating."

Close the Settings app.

By following these steps, you will have more control over when to update your computer, and you will not receive notifications when your PC requires a restart to finish updating.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez