• Welcome to Windows10Forum.com, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers. Using this forum is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Click here to Register a free account now and JOIN the discussion!

willkanoff

How to assigning a particular boot drive in Windows 10?

Hi all!

I have DELL Alienware Aurora R4 machine with three hard drives:

1.       (Local Disk)C: - (Windows 7) the “original” one that I bought with the computer.

2.       (OS)D: - (Windows 10 with all updates) the one I’ve added after the “original” started to show signs of degradation.

3.       (STORE)F: - (no OS) the one I use just to store stuff.

I’ve had dual boot and everything was hunky-dory until last week the C drive have finally kicked the bucket.

First the computer refused to shut down until I forced it. And next morning it took more than TWO hours to boot. When I finally got to the window explorer the C drive was still there but I couldn’t access or do anything to it.

In the old times I could just remove it and set boot priorities in BIOS to boot from drive D. But if I actually remove the dead drive now, the computer says that it has nothing to boot from.

It appears that with UEFI mode enabled

1.       I don’t see the actual drives in the BIOS (It only shows general source types, like Hard Drive, CD/DVD, etc.) and therefore cannot boot from a particular internal drive.

2.       I cannot assign Active Partition

3.       I cannot remove the dead C drive

So, what the heck am I supposed to do?

P.S. Could I just buy a new drive, clone the D drive to it, call it C and use the D for something else?

Please, HELP!

myArurora-r4.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By ACHARKI YAssir
      Hi, my windows (Windows 10 x64 Enterprise) keep crashing in boot, i get the following error :
      Error : 0xc0000225 (File: \Boot\BCD).

Can you help me please, i got this URL from Boot-Repair-Disk.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/fWzX6B2Wnp/
      thanks in advance.
    • By gica69
      I used to have dual boot separate hard drives the win 10 on SSD and the Win 7 on a 500gb. Yesterday I started getting some freezing and when I looked at ctrl alt delete I saw Acresso Soft Manager front and center so I went in win 7 erased some files involving the soft one in Prefetch on in Program Data, restarted and boom win 10 goes to repair. I tied all the chkdisk, diskpart, bootrec, bcdedit tricks in the book. I cannot for the life of me figure this out, and I know it can be done apparently I am set up with an MBR not GPT so no EFI partition. Included is a picture of the Disk Manager setup. Thanks in advance

• By Reuben1958
      I just got done doing a Rest on my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 15 3567. I created a USB flash drive bootable and had to go into the BIOS to enable Legacy devices in order to get my computer to boot from a USB flash drive.
      My computer is now back to normal...except that I now have the following drives:
      1. Local Disk (C:\) 209GB free out of 248GB
      2. DVD WR Drive (D:\) DVD Rewritable Drive
      3. Local Disk (E:\) 24GB free of 24GB
      4. Local Disk (F:\) 3.55GB free of 3.57GB
      Drives E:\ and F:\ have files and folders on them, though I can't see them. I have File Explorer set to show all hidden files and folders on all drives, but nothing shows up.
      How can I consolidate all the files and folders on E:\ and F:\ onto C:\ so I can remove them? Is there a disk utility I can use for this?
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online