• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Windows 10 anniversary update

I was a former win 10 user and now I downgraded to 8.1 due to the crashes and plan in for the Redstone update! But could I download It as an 8.1 user? I can't prefer win update or media creation tool as my internet connection is too slow! Will the ISO files for downloading directly be released on Aug 2? What will be the approximate size of the update? Please reply! I had been waiting for it since the rumours began to spread but was forced to downgrade! But I'm having the version 1511 ISO files with me

Hi! @James George  Yes the free offer ends July 29. The size of the upgrade is 3.11GB. You can get the ISO files from the link below. It is my understanding that the anniversary version will be offered after Aug 2 as a window update. You may get more replies from other forum members latter!;)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/?wa=wsignin1.0

But this links are valid only for 24 hrs. Am I right? I need permanent links so that I can pause and resume when required. Can I use this link to download the anniversary update ? If so what about at present will it download the 10586 os build? This is the direct downloading links and not mct. Isn't it? I'm really curious about this massive update snd I have the deepest desire to get it. So please help me!

Hi! @James George No you can not use that link to down load the anniversary addition. I don't know of a way that you can pause and resume the upgrade. As @ShockerSH has explained, If you have a legit license for W8.1 You can upgrade it to W10 for free until the end of July. The anniversary addition will install through Windows up dates.  My advise is to down load the MCT to a flash drive or ISO file.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/windows?os=windows-10

Capture25.JPG

Hi! @James George Here's a excellent blog from groovypost. You should read this and then if you have more questions you can post them and someone will try to answer your questions.

http://www.groovypost.com/unplugged/why-you-want-upgrade-windows-10-this-week/

3 hours ago, allheart55 (Cindy E) said:

As has been recommended in the above post, you need to upgrade to Win 10 no later than July 29th.

Exactly. You can download the ISO media, however, unless you upgrade you're out of luck. 

As Dave mentioned in the above-linked article, there are several ways you can do the upgrade in order to get the rights. Pretty clever honestly.

Makes sense @James George ? Question answered? 

I have decided to upgrade to win 10 before July 29. But I can't afford mct or windows update as there are no ways to pause the download. My download speed is just hardly 50 kbps. But I must get it at any cost! As said if the size is 3.11 GB then it will take almost 20-22 hrs for me to download!

Hi! @James George Here are my thoughts and others may not agree with me. If you only have 50 kbps down load, W10 may not be for you.

You stated that you had Windows 10 before, but had to roll back to W8.1 due to crashes. IMHO that is not a good sign. Sense I don't know what were causing your crashes, and I'm not going to speculate. Here's what I am saying however. Make sure you can roll back to what you have now by creating a image of your OS, or have some way to get back to the OS you are now running. You sated you must get W10 at any cost. My question to you,"What does that mean"? You also stated you are a former W10 user. How did you obtain W10 before and if it was causing crashes, why would you want to run W10 again?? I'm sorry for all the questions, but I really want to help you and give you the best advise that I know.;)

Thank you for the dedication. I'm really attracted towards the UI of win 10 and eagerly waiting for the new features in the anniversary update! I can't think of my PC without win 10! The crashes are usual experienced by all users. Most of the bugs are fixed in this massive update. I hope the questions were answered

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update will begin rolling out to Windows 10 users for free on August 2 as an update, for PC and tablets, and then phone and HoloLens soon after. For those tech-savvy enough, the build in question that will roll out on August 2nd is build 14393, and if you're an Insider Microsoft is now testing a number of patches via the fast ring for you to test that will roll out as one big day-one update on August 2nd. It's an exciting time to be a Windows user, and if Microsoft's current strategy is anything to go by, it's only going to get better.

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-anniversary-update?pg=12#content

4 hours ago, James George said:

When I navigated to the following it shows windows is activated. So to be digitily entiltled what should I do? Also when I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 there is a folder called windows old. What should I do with it? I thinkit is kept for recovery. Is it?

Yes It is the roll back! Read about it here at groovypost!

http://www.groovypost.com/news/revert-from-windows-10-windows-7-windows-8-1-dont-delete-windowsold/

4 hours ago, James George said:

My system perfomance is weak especially at the satrtup time. I think it is due to the folder windows old. Is it?

No!  But you can delete it if you're sure you don't want to roll back to your old OS, but I don't think it will improve startup times. You might give this a try. It's a trusted freeware by MBAM(Malwarebytes)

https://www.malwarebytes.com/startuplite/

• 3 weeks later...

I always suggest removing anything that is important to you from the Windows Old folder and then deleting it as it is large and has a lot

of potentially complicating things going on inside it that will slow Windows down.

The easiest way to do the Anniversary Update is go into PC Settings, Windows Update and then click on "Learn More" and that will

lead you to the download for Anniversary Update.

52 minutes ago, Rich-M said:

Thanks @Rich-M I know I've been there. That's where i got the 0X80070057 error! It went through a bunch of things. I think it failed during configuring or some where around there. Don't remember for sure Just remember it failed and I haven't tried it again!

Archived