• Welcome to Windows10Forum.com, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers. Using this forum is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Click here to Register a free account now and JOIN the discussion!

Sign in to follow this  
b4ab

CD/DVD drive won't recognize program CDs Win 10

Hi,

Since upgrading to Win10 64 my CD/DVD drive will recognize music discs, but not program discs.  With a program CD in the drive, the drive doesn't even start.  If I search in the drive tool bar for Program, nothing shows up.  However, I can plug an external CD/DVD drive into a USB port and the program will be recognized and run.  I've looked in the registry and there are no upper or lower limits for the drive.  I've also ensured the Area is correct in the device manager; also the device manager indicates the drive is working correctly.  I've reinstalled the driver.

Suggestions?

Thanks

• Upvote 1

Hi, 

Please try the following steps:
On the keyboard press Windows Key + R.
In the run box type: Regedit and click on ok.
Click on allow if prompted and the registry editor will open up.
On the left pane expand: 
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
So essentially, you will double click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, once its expanded, double click on SYSTEM and so on and so forth till you reach {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Once you have highlighted {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, on the right pane: Delete UpperFilters, LowerFilters and NoInstallClass.
Once deleted, close the registry editor and restart the computer.
NOTE: It would be highly recommended to create a restore point before making any changes in the registry editor.
Once the computer is restarted, please try.
If issue persists, try uninstalling any 3rd party dvd burning software you may have installed. Check if issue is resolved.
If issue persists, open device manager (type device manager in search on bottom left). Expand DVD/CD drive. Right click on the device and uninstall the driver. Restart the computer and issue would be fixed. 
If not, please let me know.

Regards,
Edwin S |Tech Support Team
https://www.cloudappsportal.com/

• Upvote 1