• Welcome to Windows10Forum.com, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers. Using this forum is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Click here to Register a free account now and JOIN the discussion!

smokeater321

After connection to public WiFi, won't connect to Private

I have a HP laptop that is running Windows 10 and have been using it with no problems until I traveled with it to a Hotel and used it on a public WiFi. When I got home, it wouldn't connect to my network. It shows it in list but as soon as I enter my security code, it will disable the adapter and then enable it. It does the same thing at work. I was at first able to get it to connect as a public/Limited connection, but in trying the different fixes, it now just won't connect. I have gone as far as doing a complete reset on my laptop and it still won't connect. here is the gremlin in the system, It will connect to a new WiFi connection that I have never connected to before the trip. I can tether it to my smartphone, and several other WiFi connections, but all are listed as public and are limited connections! Before I did the reset of the computer, The diagnostics would keep referring to the name of the hotel connection like it just wants to connect to it. I am at a loss!!! The system is a Windows 7 Home Prem, Upgraded to Win !0 via the windows update. I will give more info if needed, Keep in mind, that the other laptop that we took with us is working fine, and all nearly 30 other items on my network at home and the 100 plus at work are connected and working. It was only the one Laptop that did this. Also, it will connect via the LAN, but I can't use it that way all the time. I need it to be portable for work.

you have to type your IP address on the address bar of the web browser. If the router IP address is correct, it will show you the login screen. Otherwise, it can show the error message and so you need to find the right IP address by referring the manual that is provided for the router at the time you have purchased.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By canyonator19
      I am running an AMD A10-6700 APU w/Radeon HD Graphics 3.70GHz.
      Memory:  8.00GB (7.19GB usable)
      System:  64-Bit OS x64 based processor
      It is an ASUS.
      I am having difficulty with live streaming sports, specifically hockey,  in that I am able to connect to the streaming site but after sometime,  nothing consistant like after the first 10 minutes of 20 minutes or 50 minutes.  When using Google Chrome I attempt to correct this by working with Flash Player and sometimes it works and other times it does not.
      I am using wifi at my tower and the computer is approximately 30 feet from the router.  The wifi connection works fine.  When I connect to a streaming website the stopping and starting begin to occur and once it does then that website will not be usable again that evening so I switch to another website.  That may or may not work.
      Recently I purchased an HDMI cable, 25 foot, to connect my computer to my 40 inch widescreen tv.  Conncection starts out ok but then as above it starts to stop playing then continues and then stops again, to the point where I have to move to another website.
      People have told me I am too far away from the modem/router but the computer operation is not the problem  The computer works fine but might occasionally develop a slowness in changing using keystrokes.  The    wifi antenna sits on top of my towere when I do a speed test I get very close to the 10mb I am paying for.  It is o nly when I start live streaming that this occurs.
      I know that this has been long but I wanted to give you full information.  Thank you for any comments I will receive.

Bruce
    • By adnan.qureshi
      Dear All 

hope to find you in best of health,

i am facing 2 issues after updating major update of windows 10 in June 2017 .

actually when i updated the system and after final reboot laptop stuck at startup with black desktop window, after trying so many fix i was unable to complete to properly load desktop always stuck at black screen after login.
      then i perform the windows reset option to remove all the application and settings which worked for me. but after this i am facing this 2 issues. 

1. No list available of wifi network Screen shot attached.

i am able to connect to the known network which i previously used and saved in my computer but if i click on show available network it remains empty. even i reinstall all the drivers, restart the wifi autoconfig service. reset my network settings but still nothing work for me.

2. application searching not possible.

when ever i click start button and start typing for the software like paint word or excel nothing appear, i waited for more than an hour, but computer keep on searching. even i reset the index settings. screen shot attached.

only option was left for me to install a clean windows.

Thank you so much in advance

• By evgdobr
      Hi everyone!  
      Please help me to solve next issue with my Win10:
      1) my laptop configuration is next: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03375765
      It is HP envy sleekbook 6-1058er
      2) Windows 10 was installed from scratch ( it was not installed over other windows version)
      all drivers are OK ( some drivers were used from Win8 due there are no drivers for Win10 for this laptop), there is no un-recognized devices in device manager. 
      initially, all worked fine but two months ago ( probably after some windows updates ) problems with wi-fi starts:
      3) any web-page opens very-very-very slowly ( for different browsers), there are problems in skype/viber connectivity 
      4) if wi-fi is turned on my laptop any other devices (phone, tab, etc) are not able to connect to the wi-fi network. if wi-fi is turned off my laptop all other devices work with wifi very well. I even cannot open router administration web-page from my notebook ...
      5) WireShark doesn't show any strange traffic from my laptop 
      I don't know how to solve this issue, even think to move to Ubuntu 
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online