• Welcome to Windows10.help

Welcome to Windows10.help, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers. Using this forum is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

"Source and destination are same"

I don't fully understand what condition is causing this, but here's what I observed:

I moved some Excel spreadsheets and txt files to OneDrive so that I can work on them from either of two computers.  The spreadsheet has macros that create new files, or maybe I should say renames a current txt file to xxxxOld, and writes a new xxxx file.  It also creates a new copy of the spreadsheet itself with a date added as part of the file name so that I can keep 30 day's of the spreadsheet.

The problem is, when a new file is created in OneDrive on computer #1, when I attempt to open that file (from windows explorer) on computer #2, I get the "Source and destination are same"  popup.  If I just close the popup, the file will open just fine.  One other point, I ran the DIR command to look at the files on OneDrive, the trouble files on computer #2 have parenthesis around the file size.  The parenthesis will go away after closing the pop up.

Any ideas?

QUIT LOOKING, I FOUND IT!

No replies, but after posting I did more research on OnDrive and I think I fixed it I wasn't aware of the options of having your files only on the cloud, or both on the cloud and my HD. I assumed it was just the latter, which is what I wanted, and the reason I migrated my spreadsheets and related data files to OneDrive in the first place.

It turned out that basically, I was in "FIles on demand" mode on my computers for folder/files I was using. The files were not downloaded until I opened them. Those were the files whose size appeared in parenthesis in DIR. Apparently, the popup error was sort of a warning. Once I checked off "Always keep on this device", the parenthesis went away, the files were on my HD, they opened without a problem, and everything worked as expected.

• 3 weeks later...