• Welcome to Windows10Forum.com, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers. Using this forum is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Click here to Register a free account now and JOIN the discussion!

Sign in to follow this  
jaisonwhitekar

Got that half speed thing going on. Not sure what to do.

So I'm primarily running off of WiFi, 802.11 AC. Status window shows a potential speed of 867Mbs.

I've got Windows Home, 64 bit.

Previously my internet was 300Mbs down. When I did any kind of speed test I'd get around 150. Sometimes a bit higher.

I blocked pretty much all telemetry, reduced windows update bandwidth to 5%, disabled the windows update service, reset my tcp/ip stack, changed to a faster DNS server; pretty much everything I could find on google or bing.

Then I started getting around 200 consistently. Disabling tray applications and what-not had minimal effect so I just let them run (it's stuff like Adobe CC Launcher and Autodesk Launcher, need them most of the time anyway.

Fast forward and my ISP doubled my speed to 600. So now Windows is getting close to 300, sometimes a bit over and I"m here scratching my head trying to figure out what setting I'm missing that's cutting my download speed nearly in half.

My phone will speed test at 540 - 580. My old Windows7 Laptop will pull in the full 600 all the time.

I've got some Ethernet cable (cat6) on the way from Amazon; I'll give that a shot but if that doesn't work is there anything I should try before I just format the whole system and start from scratch? A setting or option that people commonly miss?

One final thing I should note; I put Ubuntu on another drive and then ran it on this same hardware; It pulled in 600 over wifi no problem so It's something in windows. having a hell of a time figuring out what though. Even using the resource monitor. Very strange.

8 hours ago, jaisonwhitekar said:

So I'm primarily running off of WiFi, 802.11 AC. Status window shows a potential speed of 867Mbs.

I've got Windows Home, 64 bit.

Previously my internet was 300Mbs down. When I did any kind of speed test I'd get around 150. Sometimes a bit higher.

I blocked pretty much all telemetry, reduced windows update bandwidth to 5%, disabled the windows update service, reset my tcp/ip stack, changed to a faster DNS server; pretty much everything I could find on google or bing.

Then I started getting around 200 consistently. Disabling tray applications and what-not had minimal effect so I just let them run (it's stuff like Adobe CC Launcher and Autodesk Launcher, need them most of the time anyway.

Fast forward and my ISP doubled my speed to 600. So now Windows is getting close to 300, sometimes a bit over and I"m here scratching my head trying to figure out what setting I'm missing that's cutting my download speed nearly in half.

My phone will speed test at 540 - 580. My old Windows7 Laptop will pull in the full 600 all the time.

I've got some Ethernet cable (cat6) on the way from Amazon; I'll give that a shot but if that doesn't work is there anything I should try before I just format the whole system and start from scratch? A setting or option that people commonly miss?

One final thing I should note; I put Ubuntu on another drive and then ran it on this same hardware; It pulled in 600 over wifi no problem so It's something in windows. having a hell of a time figuring out what though. Even using the resource monitor. Very strange.Hola VPN Private Internet Access NordVPN

my issue has been solved!!!