• Windows 10 Forums

Welcome to the Windows 10 forums, a free community where people just like you come together to discuss, share and learn how to use their computers.

As a guest, you can browse and view all the content on the site, however, you won't be able to leave comments or create new topics unless you create a free account. 

Microsoft Money (Sunset)

Weeble, thank you for you two posts above. Very helpful and all is well now.

All did not go smoothly though. I explain below what happened and how I got things to work. Hope this helps others, though most will be happy if the registry hack is working and won't know of the update

I checked my registry was set to 9.11.10240.16384 and tried to load Money 2001. Message 'Do you want this unknown programme to make changes to your computer ......etc?' (Not the exact words but you know the one!) I clicked YES. Message disappears, computer 'thinks' and returns to desktop. No Money 2001.

What to do?

I used the restore point before the update of 11 August. Rebooted and found Money 2001 was all ready installed. I then un-installed Money 2001 and ran Windows Update. Now I reinstalled Money 2001.

Clicking on Money, it started and I loaded my money data. Wonderful. I verified that the download facility from banks worked. It did. Wonderful. (Some folk have found a problem with this)

Of course there is now the issue of bringing the computer back to where I had progressed but for me this will simply reinforce how to use Win10 so nothing lost really, only time.

Microsoft have responded quickly to this need of their customers of yesteryear and they should be complimented on the speed at which this has been achieved.

Bill

Billy,

Glad that you got there in the end.

I think that I should point out that there is no evidence that the updates involved MS Money in any shape or form and I would be surprised if it did. It is more likely that this was a side-effect of fixing something else.

I suppose what I am really trying to say is that it would be dangerous for us to think that future 'issues' with MS Money will be fixed because they listen to us as a user base. Money is after all an unsupported product and that is how we should regard it.

Yes, I agree with Patty but as you say, Money is not now supported.

I wouldn't know where to start to contact Microsoft but perhaps they should consider a Sunrise Edition that is compatible with files from all previous versions?

It really is an excellent product. My records go back to 1996!

Oh, and thank you again Weeble. Otherwise, without doubt I would have had to revert to Win 7

Patty,

I understand what you are saying but we need to be realistic. In the Microsoft world, Money and us the users, are the proverbial pimple on an elephant's behind (= butt in the US). It has provided no income for years and will not do so. It is a shame that personal finance/home banking software is such a niche market. The only reason I became a Money user all of those years ago was that here in the UK, Quicken pulled out as they couldn't make any money either. Its sad because it is a great use of a home pc but sadly the vast majority would rather the bank default their mortgage payments than make the effort. Shame!

Anyway, what we need to bear in mind is that Microsoft is a global company with all of the pressures that that entails, it is the Bill Gates Foundation that is a charity.

I had updated to Windows 10 and used the regedit workaround to have Money running again. I then did a fresh install and to my horror Money will not even install with the error message "This app can't run on your pc". I've tried adjusting compatibility mode in properties without success. Any suggestions.

Cheers

As another MS Money fan considering upgrading to Win10 I found this thread. Whilst Microsoft stopped all support for MS Money some years ago, Dan Gaier (one of the dev team for Money) has gone it alone and provides support through his own website. There's no mention of a Windows 10 fix on his website - possibly he can be persuaded to develop a permanent fix

http://gaiersoftware.com/Money

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using MS Money Sunset on Windows 10 (final public release) without any issues. Well...until a couple of months ago. I have been using MS Money since 2000 to download all my banking transactions and categorise/reconcile them etc. Now all of a sudden I seem to have hit some kind of limit that's causing Money to crash. It started only when I'd choose "Transactions by Category", even though "Transactions by Payee" in Reports would work ok. I ignored it for a while, but now it crashes soon after opening, regardless of what I click....or even if I click nothing. I assume it's the stuff running in the background to produce the pie chart that pops up on the home page.

What's interesting is if I go back to a backup of my money file from a few months back, and use it for a while, the program never crashes. So it's either data that's corrupted in Money recently, or as I say some kind of curious size limitation I might have hit.

When all this happened, I decided it was finally time to kick my MS Money addiction...but I'm having serious withdrawals....I've come to realise how much I rely on the program....for example it's time to do my tax and I think "How much did I pay that accountant last year"...if I use my IB online to find out, I have to remember when I paid him, what the company's billing name was, that sort of thing. In Money all I have to do is go to "Transactions by Category" and choose my "Tax Return Fees" category and there it is. Or another example where I need a new lid for my outdoor jacuzzi...I can use Money to easily find out where I bought my last one and when (6 years ago it turns out!), and how much I paid back then.

Anyway...I'm wondering what to do. Make a copy of my backup from a few months back, then remove maybe 5 years worth of the oldest data, and download my latest data to get it back up to date? I'm not sure how you'd easily remove say all data in my file between 2000 & 2005. Anyone else got ideas?

By the way, I tried running the various MS Money repair jobs on my Money File...if I'm quick enough I seem to be able to get them going before it crashes. But it seems to have made no difference. And now the latest file is so screwed it crashes within a few seconds of starting up.

If it's not working, one thing you can consider is running it in a VM with Hyper-V if you have Windows 10 Pro. You can install Windows 7 on it, then install Money on that VM. It's a complex workaround, but should work. Here's a look at how to create one:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-virtual-machine-windows-10-hyper-v/

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I tried compatibility and the .dll and it didnt work for me.We all seem to be trying to fix this on our own. I think we should ask Microsoft to fix this at their end through twitter, facebook and /or other social media platforms. We bought their software, trusted them, put all our data on it , and they need to help us continue to use the solution. While they have discontinued Money, they still sell a lot of stuff and we are potential customers ! They need to figure out whether they want to keep us happy or do they want us to start looking around at their competition. Twitter is @microsofthelps and @satyanadella

As another MS Money fan considering upgrading to Win10 I found this thread. Whilst Microsoft stopped all support for MS Money some years ago, Dan Gaier (one of the dev team for Money) has gone it alone and provides support through his own website. There's no mention of a Windows 10 fix on his website - possibly he can be persuaded to develop a permanent fix

http://gaiersoftware.com/Money

Dan seems to be working for Jp Morgan now

I had a chat last night with a MS savy developer who works closely with Microsoft. He advised that in his opinion MS would not entertain any further expense on the old Money project. When I mentioned that the issue seems to be that Money looks for Internet Explorer, and thus crashes, he advised that it would probably work, without any modifications required if it were run under Windows 10 Professional, as the Prof version has IE as well as the new browser (as many corporate apps also still require IE). This is not the case on the consumer version of Windows 10 (which is the one I have been using, which crashes. Does anyone know if this is correct? I really dont see the suggested modifications to registry etc as a sensible long term fix.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My version of MS Money shows on my computer as Money Plus - although I seem to think that it said Money Sunset when I downloaded it. As I worked with MS Money from 1999 without downloading from my bank, I can live without that and enter everything manually. Does anyone have any experience of using Money Plus with Windows 10? Does anyone have experience of using it with Mozilla? I opened one of my accounts yesterday and entered a transaction - forgetting that I was on my Windows 10 computer, and it does seem to have entered OK. I'm just not sure whether to risk continuing.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2015 at 8:50 AM, Brian said:

It sounds like you've tried the right things. Of course, as I am sure you know, programs that don't work in the preview now might work in the final version.

I would think MS would allow the Compatibility Settings work, especially on their own software product.

Which version of MS Money is it?

If all else fails and you truly need Microsoft Money, you can always run it in a VM.

Let us know what happens, because I am sure there will end up being a lot of questions like this.

By the way, for those having a similar issue, first try to run the program in Compatibility Mode, right click the program icon, select Properties, and choose a different version of Windows.

moneyxpcompat.png.8c1aa02c0d81070e7bbe1d

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/geek-stuff/run-a-program-in-windows-7-compatibility-mode/

Hi, well, to cut a long story short, I used the patch and it worked, but then as you say the final version came out and the program worked anyway!

Sadly though, my back-up drive died a couple of weeks later, and before I had bought a replacement, the motherboard in my PC died shortly afterwards.

The repair shop duly fitted a replacement, and did a complete re-install of Windows 10.....

But at least I was able to run the Money program and start over!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, crossword said:

Hi, well, to cut a long story short, I used the patch and it worked, but then as you say the final version came out and the program worked anyway!

Sadly though, my back-up drive died a couple of weeks later, and before I had bought a replacement, the motherboard in my PC died shortly afterwards.

The repair shop duly fitted a replacement, and did a complete re-install of Windows 10.....

But at least I was able to run the Money program and start over!

Please tell me you have some backup software running @crossword!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm in the UK: I had the "Money cannot open [zzz].mny, possibly because it is a read only file or you do not have permission to change it or your disk is write protected" " error message after "upgrading" to a new Windows 10 laptop and reinstalling Money 2005 from my original discs. The program would run, but would not open my .mny file.

After much searching, I found the solution at https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money - I downloaded the latest version of UK Money 2005 from a link on that page and installed it.  I then right-clicked the program icon and chose Run as Administrator. Worked first time! A colossal relief.

(I did not need to do either the Registry hack or update the mnyob99.dll file - the new download installation files has installed version 14.0.120.1105, the latest version.)

So, thanks to Cal Learner who moderates that page and I'm writing this for the benefit of everyone else who'll be searching madly for a fix - check the link above.

Good luck

Chris

• Upvote 2

• 7 years later...